COVID-19 hospital protocols
Update July 2021
As businesses across the country begin to reopen their doors, we know that our clients are eager to understand Eglinton Vet’s reopening strategy.
We are grateful that the ‘curbside’ model of veterinary care has allowed us to stay open during the pandemic, and we cannot express how much our team appreciates the ongoing support of our clients. We need to continue to prioritize the health and safety of our clients and staff while maintaining Eglinton Vet’s high standard of patient care.
Our long-term clients will recognize that our indoor spaces are quite small, and we cannot easily maintain the 2m distance between people that is required by public health officials. In addition, we have all experienced the unpredictability of this pandemic and the population density of our location makes us concerned that a “fourth wave” of COVID is a possibility. Finally, those members of our team who want to be vaccinated are not all yet fully vaccinated and we need more time to allow this to happen and for them to develop immunity.
For all of these reasons, Eglinton Vet’s leadership team feels that adopting a cautious reopening strategy is in the best interest of keeping everyone as safe as possible. We have made the decision to maintain our current curbside protocols for the first few weeks of Step 3 of Ontario’s re-opening Plan. We have tentatively set August 23rd as the earliest date that we will re-open our doors. This decision is subject to change depending on what is happening in the neighbourhood.
Beyond the risk of COVID, our tentative August re-opening date has been selected around a decision to give our team some special time off in August. Prior to knowing the Province’s plan, we had scheduled our team to take paid long weekends off in rotation to allow them a well-deserved break. Veterinary medicine has been pushed to its limits during this pandemic, and our team needs time to decompress before they return to working with the public indoors again.
At this time, we envision that our “doors open” date will not be a full re-opening and that we will continue to be curbside for many things until the cold weather arrives, including appointments with a technician, food and medication pick-up and the admission and discharge of patients visiting the hospital for procedures. We will try our best to communicate to clients what to expect for their appointments.
We do recognize that clients are anxious to be indoors with their pets during a visit but we thank you for your patience.
Notes for clients visiting our hospital with their pets:
- Please do not attend the hospital with your pet if you are exhibiting any signs of COVID-19 infection, if you have had close contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or if you have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days. We are happy to care for your pet and communicate by phone.
- If you are visiting us, please anticipate a wait of 10-30 minutes or more outside of the hospital (dress appropriately or plan to remain in your vehicle if the weather is cold or wet).
- When you arrive at the hospital, please call us at 416-487-1533 or knock on the front door. Our team will provide you with guidance as to what to expect for your appointment.
- Please bring a mask to wear when interacting with our team.
- We are currently accepting contactless payments and NOT accepting cash or cheques. We can take a payment at our front door (using debit, Mastercard or Visa), by credit card over the phone or by e-transfer to email@example.com.